Saturday, May 30, 2009

Outside the Center

This afternoon I had some time to walk around the grounds of the Jerusalem Center and play with my camera. Here are a few pictures for you to enjoy.

Dome of the RockFront door of the center Looking out from the 8th floor of the center
This is Katie and I in front of the center on the 7th level. To the left you can see the big windows of our chapel.

Visit to the Hospital

Thursday afternoon I was able to go with two other girls to a hospital just down the road from the Jerusalem Center. We went as volunteers to help feed the babies. Below is a picture of the nursery. While we were waiting, one of the nurses called us in to see a baby boy who had just been born. They were all so tiny and it was so fun to see all of them.

I sat for about 45 minutes trying to get this little girl to drink her bottle. She just kept falling asleep. I couldn't stop smiling as I held this little infant in my arms. It was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon!
On our way home from the hospital we stop to talk to some kids that were out playing by the street. While we were talking we were attacked by two boys with water guns. These weren't wimpy water guns either. They were the kind that had backpacks filled with water. We escaped with minor damage and I am sure they got a good laugh from it. I think we are going to go to Toy Land and get our own water guns so we can defend ourselves next time!

A few more pictures from our trip to Egypt...
Below is a picture of the Step Pyramid which was the first pyramid built and later led to the building of the great pyramids. After walking around the area I was walking out of the temple structure a young man grabbed my arm. I have gotten used to just ignoring anyone that I pass by but I was surprised that a white tourist would try to stop me. As I turned back around I realize that it was someone I knew. This young tourist was actually a friend of mine from my freshman year at BYU. He just completed his mission in Romania and his family had picked him up and they were doing some traveling and then visiting his sister who is on a mission before going home. What are the chances that I would see him in Egypt at the oldest pyramid in the world. It was a very fun surprise.
Here is a picture of the kind of boats we road down the Nile River on.Camel Ride! Luxor Temple at Night
This is the tomb of the famous King Tut. The interesting thing is that he really was an insignificant king but he was made famous because his tomb was the only one found that had not been found by the tomb robbers. All of the treasures found in the tomb now fill one level of the Cairo Museum. Inside the tomb they had the mummy of King Tutankhamun. I loved seeing the mummy in the original tomb he was found in.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

Heather you look great. I am so happy for you and all of your adventures! Who was the boy that stopped you from freshman year? Was he in our ward?

Joelle said...

Hez, Thanks for the added Egypt pictures, it makes all so much more real. I loved the Jerusalem Center pictures. I am still in awe at the beauty and absolutte miracle of that place, and you get to be a part of it.
We miss you, but love the chance to enjoy your experiences. MOM